Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Project Skyhook: Install a weight-bearing plant hanger

I've been wanting a rope plant hanger for a while.  I associate them with awesomeness from when my mom had one.

You know that hanger would be like $300 now at Anthropologie.  Omigod I was joking and then I looked it up.
Spotted one at Home Depot for $8.  And now it is mine.

My lovely downstairs neighbors loaned me their lightweight ladder.  Equipment gap bridged!

What's the worry here?  Weight bearing objects overhead tend to freak me out.  This hook needs to provide a stable vehicle for a long duration.  I tried to find a stud with the stud finder, got the beeps and the flashing lights, drilled in: no stud.  Through a serious stroke of luck - of the three screw anchors in my toolbox, one of them happened to be the right size - I got to keep going without having to make a trip to the store.  Got the anchor in with a mallet hammer, screwed in the screw and voila! New hook.

Hung the macrame hanger with a heavy book for a day as a test plant crash dummy, figured if it fell down it would be a lot easier to clean up than a smashed terra cotta pot and potting soil everywhere.  Gravity lost that round and now my plant has moved on up like the Jeffersons.


Lesson learned:  Wear eye protection when drilling into the ceiling.  Sure, that would seem like a common sense move but hey, I tend to learn these things through experience.  Plaster dust in the eyes type experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment